reaction wheels provide spacecrafts with control torque by means of momentum exchange between the satellite body and the rotating wheel.
A high-performance alternative to a propulsion-based reaction control system, reaction wheels provide spacecraft with control torque by means of momentum exchange between the satellite body and the rotating wheel. The increasing popularity of these wheels coupled with our commitment to high quality, fit-for-purpose components has resulted in NSS offering these wheels in a range of standard sizes (NRWA-T065, NRWA-T2, NRWA-T6 and NRWA-T80) or can offer a customised flywheel for mission optimisation.
• Wheel torque and momentum capacity suited to client mission requirements
• Current, speed and Torque control
• Simple digital interface to spacecraft bus
• Integration with an optional gyroscope for inertial rate control and inertial angle control modes possible on T065
• Hermetically sealed (T065 & T2)
• Long demonstrated lifetimes
• High-performance three-axis torque and momentum exchange actuators for agile small satellite missions
• Momentum bias
• Inertial rate control for accurate pointing of imagers
The NewSpace Systems (NSS) Reaction Wheel product range is extensively qualified and based on a robust design with significant in-orbit heritage. The T065 wheel, which first flew in 2014, has more than 3 million failure-free hours in-orbit with no reported SEU’s. Since then, NSS has expanded its wheel range and now offers custom wheel solutions. With an order book of >300 wheels and wheels baselined on 4 constellation programmes, the NSS wheels have become a preferred choice for longer lifetime missions and constellation programmes.