JOB TYPE: Full-Time
LOCATION: South Africa, Somerset West
REPORT TO: Industrialization Manager
KEY PURPOSE OF JOB
Product development and manufacturing Aerospace Engineering Company in Somerset West has a permanent position for a Test Design Engineer responsible for all activities related to the testing of standard products in an efficient, pro-active, and synergistic manner.
• Designing, improving \ redesigning and commissioning automated test equipment including bed of nails jigs, equipment racks and cable harnesses used for production acceptance testing.
• Managing the entire design lifecycle of new test equipment including interpreting test requirements, conceptualising test approach, designing individual test systems (hardware \ firmware \ software), coordinating fabrication of hardware, integration, configuration control, commissioning, documenting and training of operators.
• Responsible for automation of test set-ups to enable: test data recording, interpretation and manipulation; reduced operator interpretation of results and automated report generation.
• Responsible for the design and improvement of production test software for ease of use and increased automation.
• Responsible for investigation and resolution of product deviations during testing.
• Support the Testing department in fault finding and isolating the cause of failure on defective units.
• Training production staff on the use of test equipment and test set-ups.
• Responsible for creating, maintaining, and updating test procedures and results sheets.
• Other ad-hoc duties as required by the company.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
• B Eng/NDIP/B-TECH in Electronic Engineering from a recognised institution
Experience (ideally within the aerospace or defence industry):
• 3-5 years of relevant work experience
• Testing and preferable design of high-reliability electronic products
• Design and implementation of automated test equipment
• Ability to interpret mechanical and electronic drawings
• Ability to effectively use off-the-shelf test equipment
• Appreciation and experience of ISO9001 requirements
• Python, C#, SQL, LaTeX
Additional knowledge areas that would strengthen the application
• Knowledge of satellite subsystems and the space environment.
• Experience with the ECSS product development and environmental testing standards
• Cleanroom, ESD, and optical assembly environment
COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
• Be self-motivated and have a willingness to learn
• Willing to go the extra mile to complete projects
• Good attention to detail
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Flexible and able to multi-task, can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment
• Resourcefulness in setting priorities
• The post holder will be required to interact frequently and effectively with peers and other team members towards achieving positive outcomes