JOB TYPE: Full-Time
LOCATION: South Africa, Somerset West
REPORT TO: Industrialization Manager
KEY PURPOSE OF JOB
Product development and manufacturing Aerospace Engineering Company in Somerset West has a permanent position for a Production Process Engineer who will be responsible for activities related to the implementation and improvement of industrialisation and production processes in an efficient, pro-active, and synergistic manner.
This role is centred in an electronics manufacturing environment. The optimal engagement with the processes and products involved requires some background in electronic engineering, specifically production engineering.
Production Process Engineering
• Designing, improving \ redesigning and commissioning production lines and work cells according to the requirements of applicable standards.
• Responsible for improvement of assembly jigs and set-ups.
• Support with the investigation and resolution of product deviations during the production process and client feedback.
• Support the Testing department in fault finding and isolating the cause of failure on defective units.
• Training production staff on the use of assembly and test equipment and test set-ups.
• Assisting in maintaining and updating work instructions.
• Responsible for the introduction of new manufacturing technologies, infrastructure, and equipment.
• Assist with Engineering support to the Production team (including logistics and testing).
• Optimize productivity (man, machine, and material) by analysing current processes and methods and identification of improvement projects in the cleanroom.
• Implement Lean Manufacturing principles to continuously improve methods, processes and production KPI’s.
• Perform continuous improvement in terms of standardisation, technologies, architecture, best practices etc. with input from the Engineering Department.
• Advocate Design-For-Manufacture (DFM) principles in the prototyping and pre-production phase of the new product development project.
• Support the Engineering department in all phases of evolution and customization of products.
• Participate in the industrialization project deliverables in line with time, cost, and quality targets.
• Support and facilitate problem-solving during prototype build.
• Support with development and updating of production datapack (i.e assembly instructions and build history checklists).
• Perform line balancing and ensure the successful completion of the task sequencings.
• Assist with new and updated process information on the ERP system.
• Support the development and manufacturing of aids, tools and jigs. • Other ad-hoc duties as required by the company.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
• B Eng/NDIP/B-TECH in Electronic/Mechanical/Mechatronic Engineering from a recognised institution
Experience (ideally within the aerospace or defence industry):
• 3+ years in a production environment supporting the manufacture of high-reliability electronic products
• Ability to interpret mechanical and electronic drawings
• Appreciation and experience of ISO9001 requirements
Additional knowledge areas that would strengthen the application:
• Industrial Engineering experience or knowledge
• Mechanical Design experience or knowledge
• Lean Manufacturing or Shopfloor Management
• Knowledge of satellite subsystems and the space environment
• Experience with the ECSS product development and environmental testing standards
• Cleanroom, ESD, and optical assembly environment
COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
• Be self-motivated and have a willingness to learn
• Willing to go the extra mile to complete projects
• Good attention to detail
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Flexible and able to multi-task, can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment
• Resourcefulness in setting priorities
• The post holder will be required to interact frequently and effectively with peers and other team members towards achieving positive outcomes