JOB TYPE: Full-Time
LOCATION: South Africa, Somerset West
REPORT TO: COO
KEY PURPOSE OF JOB
As part of a major growth strategy, NewSpace Systems, a component and sub-system supplier to the international satellite market is seeking a Production Manager. The Production Manager will manage the organization’s manufacturing needs as well as the industrialization of its products from the design phase to serial production. The Production Manager will examine the short- to long-term needs of the organization and deploy resources and capital to make investments designed to help the organization reach its objectives.
• Responsible for the manufacturing and testing of products in an efficient and safe way to the required quality and within the agreed lead-times.
• Utilizing and maintenance of ERP and other related software to manage and optimize production processes.
• Resource planning of assembly technicians and manufacturing equipment to ensure continued production and minimal downtime.
• Anticipates bottlenecks, clarifies priorities, identifies risks and escalates issues that cannot be internally resolved.
• Sets the sequencing of work, such as build and delivery, to optimize productivity.
• Accountable for adherence to cleanroom housekeeping and standards
• Ensure the processes are designed and implemented in line with the industrial requirements and the objectives of the project and/or client.
• Define the most efficient industrial processes.
• Build the plan for tooling and other specific manufacturing equipment.
• Manage industrial risk through product/process FMEA and associated improvement action plan when relevant.
• Ensure industrial sustainability of product life cycle: guarantee the manufacturability – reparability (incl. Test bench and parts obsolescence management / re-design proposal)
• Improve product competitiveness: cost optimization, lead time reduction, quality improvement.
• Management of new and existing manufacturing related technologies, infrastructure, and equipment.
• Recommends acquiring of the most appropriate equipment to expand or modify production lines.
• Lead industrialization effort during bids and mobilization phase of the project
• Determine & monitor technical priorities to meet cost, schedule, quality & performance for industrialization, manufacturing and testing related projects.
• Monitor and trend staffing against planned work; proactively relevant functions to ensure adequate resource assignment.
• Help employees grow through career development, coaching, and mentoring while guiding senior contributors to maximise their potential.
• Develop and maintain manufacturing processes and introduce new processes where none exist.
• Perform structured root cause analysis of any manufacturing process failures, and actively promote and manage Continuous Improvement within the Department
Additional duties as reasonably required
Domestic and international travel may be required
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in relevant Engineering field;
• Demonstratable experience in high-tech and high-value (multimillion-rand) project implementation & management
• Knowledge of electronic manufacturing methods and practices
• Knowledge of manufacturing ERP system
• Knowledge of industrialization, plant layout and lean manufacturing principles
• Knowledge of environmental test methods and practices (e.g. Dynamic, Vibration, EMC, Thermal)
Experience & Knowledge:
• 8+ (eight) plus years of experience including project management, in an aerospace/defence manufacturing environment or similar, of which more than three years has been in a senior management role
• Preference will be given to candidates with experience in an electronics manufacturing environment
COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
• Proven ability to articulate a vision and strategy in a way that inspires and motivates a team to focus their energy on achieving business goals.
• Strong leadership skills with a track record for investing in team and driving results through collaboration.
• Ability to create partnerships across the entire organisation and collaborate with a wide variety of stakeholders from technicians to executives.
• Ability to communicate clearly (in both visual and dialogue environments) to both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Deep experience implementing production, management, and process best practices within a rapidly growing team
• Track record of growing quality focussed production teams quickly and mentoring junior technicians and emerging leaders
• Ability to create and deliver accurate and concise presentations for manufacturing and quality.
• Adaptable and comfortable in an exciting, dynamic, and evolving environment
• Hands-on with a passion for continuous improvement and building the best hardware
• Resourcefulness in setting priorities.
• Fluent English essential, second and/or additional languages beneficial
NewSpace Systems is committed to Employment Equity therefore preference will be given to suitable candidates from designated groups.
If you meet the requirements of this vacancy, please send your cv to:
email@example.com OR contact us on +27 (0) 21 300 0160