KEY PURPOSE OF JOB
NewSpace Systems is a product development and manufacturing aerospace engineering company in Somerset West. We have a permanent position for a design engineer to take responsibility for new electro-mechanical product design, development and verification on various projects working within a multidisciplinary team.
Design and develop electronics-based products used in spacecraft related systems and their associated design documentation, test procedures and calibration systems:
- Attending requirement and proposal discussions with clients when required.·
- Derive technical specifications for system requirements based on market and/or Customer needs.
- Research, develop and testing of theoretical and conceptual designs.
- Derive component requirements for the electronic design using traceable and qualified components.
- Simulate/test the design at various levels, ensuring that a product will work with adequate design margins and will perform reliably and consistently in specified operation environments.
- Documentation and review of all aspects during design phases.
- Design and develop embedded firmware for micro-controller and FPGA based applications.
- Testing of hardware and firmware, implementing corrections as necessary.
- Interacting with sub-contractors and resolving manufacturing issues.
- Development of production documentation
- Other ad-hoc duties as required by the company.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- B.Sc/B.Eng degree in electronic engineering from a recognized institution
Experience (ideally within the aerospace or defence industry):
- High-reliability electronic product design and realisation
- Analog and digital electronic circuit design and simulation
- Schematic capture and PCB layout (using any EDA software)
- Practical experience testing and debugging electronic circuits
- Software and/or firmware development (Python, C, C++)
Additional knowledge areas that would strengthen the application:
- Master’s degree from a recognized institution
- Experience with power electronics design and optimization (emphasis on power conversion systems)
- HDL design and development for FPGA systems
- Familiarity with microcontroller architectures (PIC, ARM, AVR, etc.)
- Familiarity with embedded communication systems and standards (CAN, RS422, SPI, I2C, UART, etc.)
- Familiarity with control theory and the implementation/realization thereof
- Experience with software-designed radio (SDR) systems
- Experience with COTS, automotive, industrial, and military electronic components
- Experience working with optical/optomechanical systems
- Electromagnetic design and analysis
- Familiarity with CAD software and design principles
COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
- Positive self-motivated, self-starter attitude
- Innovative – thinking ‘outside the box’
- Team player
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Able to persuade and influence others
- Ability to bounce back
- Flexible and able to multi-task, can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment
- Ability to self-manage and set priorities
If you meet the requirements of this vacancy, please send your cv to:
Lm@newspacesystems.com OR contact us on +27 (0) 21 300 0160