JOB TYPE: Full-Time
LOCATION: South Africa, Somerset West
REPORT TO: Design Lead
KEY PURPOSE OF JOB
Product development and manufacturing aerospace engineering company in Somerset West has a permanent position for a design engineer to take responsibility for new electro-mechanical product design, development and verification on various projects working within a multidisciplinary team.
Design and develop electronics-based products used in spacecraft related systems and their associated design documentation, test procedures and calibration systems:
• Attending requirement and proposal discussions with clients when required.
• Derive technical specifications for sub-system requirements based on market and/or Customer needs.
• Research, develop and test theoretical and conceptual designs.
• Derive component requirements for the electronic design using traceable and qualified components.
• Simulate/test the design at various levels, ensuring that a product will work with adequate design margins and will perform reliably and consistently in specified operation environments.
• Document and review all sub-system/product aspects during design phases.
• Design and develop embedded firmware for micro-controller and/or FPGA based applications.
• Test the developed hardware and firmware; implement corrections as necessary.
• Interacting with sub-contractors and resolving manufacturing issues.
• Development of production documentation
Other ad-hoc duties as required by company.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
• B.Sc/B.Eng degree in Electronic/Mechatronics Engineering from a recognized institution.
Experience (ideally within aerospace or defence industry):
• High-reliability electronic product design and realisation
• Analog and digital electronic circuit design and simulation (>5 years)
• Practical experience testing and debugging electronic circuits (>5 years)
Additional knowledge areas that would strengthen the application.
• Master’s Degree
• Embedded software development (Assembler, C, C++)
• Application software development (Python, C, C++, C#)
• FPGA development (VHDL preferred)
• Familiarity with microcontroller architectures (PIC, ARM, AVR, etc.)
• Schematic creation and PCB layout (preferably in Altium Designer)
• Familiarity with CAD software and design principles
• Project Management (MS Project or other)
• Familiarity/experience designing, developing, and supporting satellite actuator and/or sensor subsystems (reaction wheel, sun sensor, magnetometer, etc.
• Experience working with Optical/Optomechanical systems and/or Electromagnetic design and analysis
COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
• Positive self-motivated, self-starter attitude
• Innovative – thinking ‘outside the box’
• Team player
• Good written and oral communication skills
• Customer focused
• Able to persuade and influence others
• Ability to bounce back
• Flexible and able to multi-task, can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment
• Ability to self-manage and set priorities
If you meet the requirements of this vacancy, please send your cv to:
Lm@newspacesystems.com OR contact us on +27 (0) 21 300 0160