We would like to wish the Grade 12 learners of Khanyolwethu Secondary School all the best with the start of their test exams today. Although it was a challenging year for these students, not being able to attend school for more than half of the year, we are so proud of the extra mile that these learners, teachers and their principal have gone to, to complete the final matric exams. Having worked with this school since 2017, the NewSpace team is excited to be able to continue our support through the sponsorship of critical educational material. #SupportingSTEM
|JOB TYPE||LOCATION||REPORT TO|
|Full-Time||South Africa, Somerset West||CFO|
KEY PURPOSE OF JOB
Product development and manufacturing aerospace engineering company in Somerset West has a permanent position for a product support engineer to take responsibility for the industrialisation, support, customisation and improvement of Company’s products and processes.
|Evolution and Customization of Company Products |
– Support the Product Manager in all phases of evolution and customization of products (including design, qualification, industrialization and engineering support during production).
– Support the Product Engineer in the development and/or updating of verification plans, test procedures and test environments related to the evolution and customization of products.
– Responsible for the identification and resolution of issues and risks under the guidance of the Product Manager.
– Responsible for project deliverables in line with time, cost and quality targets.Monitoring and reporting to the Product Manager on the status of deliverables on projects.
Engineering Support of Product Line
– Responsible for engineering support to the Production team (including logistics and testing) of the Company Products.
– Responsible for completion and updating of Technical documentation on Company Products.
– Responsible for investigation and resolution of product deviations during the production process and client feedback.
– Responsible for organising and executing testing at offsite test facilities, where required.
– Perform continuous improvement in terms of standardisation, technologies, architecture, best practices etc. under the guidance of the Product Manager.
· Support configuration control of relevant technical documentation and software programs of products.
· Support implementation of and compliance to engineering technical standards, policies and procedures.
Other ad-hoc duties as required by the company.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
· BSc(ENG), BEng, in Mechatronics Engineering (or Electrical and Electronic) from a recognised institution
Experience & Knowledge:
· At least 3-5 years of relevant work experience.
· Experience in electronics hardware design (Preferably in Altium Designer)
· Good knowledge of analogue and digital electronics.
· Embedded software development, integration and testing. (C/C++)
· Working knowledge of python.
· Mechanical design and manufacturing methods are required
· (Preferably in Solid Works)
· Experience with formal configuration management principles.
Additional knowledge areas that would strengthen the application
· Knowledge of satellite subsystems and the space environment.
· Experience with the ECSS product development and environmental testing standards
COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
· Positive self-motivated, self-starter attitude
· Team player
· Good written and oral communication skills
· Customer focused
· Able to persuade and influence others
· Flexible and able to multi-task can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment
· Resourcefulness in setting priorities.
If you meet the requirements of this vacancy, please send your cv to:
Lm@newspacesystems.com OR contact us on +27 (0) 21 300 0160
To learn more about Newspace Systems, visit our website:
NewSpace Systems (NSS) has been down-selected by the Hemeria team to provide several of the ADCS products for the Kinéis constellation. This constellation of nanosatellites will be dedicated to the Internet of Things (IoT).
”We are excited to announce that with the successful completion of the EQSR last month, the NSS team are now working closely with the Hemeria team on the qualification phase for this program” – says NSS CEO Mr. James Barrington-Brown
For more information on Hemeria visit: https://www.hemeria-group.com/en/
We have a permanent position for a design engineer to take responsibility for new electro-mechanical product design, development and verification on various projects working within a multidisciplinary team.
• B.Sc/B.Eng degree in Engineering (preferably electronic, mechanical or mechatronic) from a recognized institution.
Experience (ideally within aerospace or defence industry):
• High-reliability electronic product design, realisation and environmental testing (>3 years)
• Schematic creation and simulation (>3 years) (preferably Altium Designer)
• Embedded software development (>3 years) (C, C++)
• Mechanical design (preferably Solid Works)
Additional knowledge areas that would strengthen the application
• Masters Degree
• Optical/Optomechanical system design
• Python programming and realization (>3years)
• FPGA development (VHDL based) (>3 years)
• Thermal and/or structural analysis
• Project Management (MSProject or other)
Design and develop electronics based products used in spacecraft related systems and their associated design documentation, test procedures and calibration systems:
• Attending requirement and proposal discussions with clients when required.
• Derive technical specifications for system requirements based on market and/or Customer needs.
• Research, develop and testing of theoretical and conceptual designs.
• Derive component requirements for the electronic design using traceable and qualified components.
• Simulate/test the design at various levels, ensuring that a product will work with adequate design margins and will perform reliably and consistently in specified operation environments.
• Documentation and review of all aspects during design phases.
• Design and develop embedded firmware for micro-controller and FPGA based applications.
• Test the hardware and firmware; implement corrections as necessary.
• Mechanical design of enclosures and interfaces, interacting with sub-contractors and resolving manufacturing issues.
• Development of production documentation
• Positive self-motivated, self-starter attitude
• Innovative – thinking ‘outside the box’
• Team player
• Good written and oral communication skills
• Customer focused
• Able to persuade and influence others
• Ability to bounce back
• Flexible and able to multi-task, can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment
• Resourcefulness in setting priorities.
• English (essential)
• Afrikaans (beneficial)
Dear Clients, Partners and Suppliers,
In response to the ongoing CoV-19 threat, on Monday evening the South African government announcement that a lockdown would be enforced for 40 days, effective from midnight on Thursday, 26th March 2020 until Thursday, 30th of April 2020. The NewSpace Systems team would thus like to use this opportunity to update you directly on the decisions we have taken to support government directives, while continuing to meet our clients dynamic ADCS requirements.
We are currently liaising directly with clients to ensure that orders ready for shipment go out before mid-day Thursday, 26th March, while ongoing programmes are anticipated to experience minimal delays. However, we continue to carefully monitor the situation and are working closely with clients to keep them updated on any possible changes to their respective schedules. All staff, spanning Engineering, Product Support, Procurement, Sales and Admin, will be working remotely and remain at your disposal via email.
As relating to suppliers, in accordance with government directives, the NewSpace facility will be closed for the period of 27th March 2020 to 30th April 2020 and is expected to resume operations on the 4th of May 2020. As such, during this period of 27 March to 3 May, NewSpace will not be able to receive any onsite deliveries. However, our team will be in contact with the relevant suppliers directly to liaise shipment dates accordingly.
As always, the NewSpace team remains committed to ensuring the mission success of our partners and would like to thank you in advance for your continued support and understanding!
Wishing you and your loved ones’ good health!
Kempton Park, February 2020
Schauenburg Ventures SA (Pty) Ltd, the South African arm of German based Schauenburg Ventures, has bought into NewSpace Systems (Pty) Ltd as of 29 January 2020.
Schauenburg Ventures SA (Pty) Ltd was established to enrich the product portfolio of the Schauenburg International – Africa Group as well as Schauenburg Ventures, focusing primarily on corporate ventures regarding highly innovative technologies available internationally and in South Africa. The recent significant share acquisition of NewSpace Systems (NSS) fits strategically with Stratosat Datacom (Pty) Ltd within the SCHAUENBURG International Group which provides turnkey satellite and wireless converged communication network solutions into Africa. Stratosat was one of the main contractors for the Meerkat project in the Karoo with the Department of Trade and Industry.
NSS is a world leader in the area of Microsatellite Attitude Control Solutions. With a focus on innovation and optimization, NSS delivers on high performance, remarkable reliability and cost efficiency, which has made it extremely successful in the international operational satellite constellation market. To date, NSS has supported more than 50 international customers, including 11 of the National Space Agencies.
“The investment from SCHAUENBURG will enable the accelerated growth of NewSpace Systems by supporting additional product development and the establishment of new facilities, which is needed to accommodate our rapidly growing customer base”, stated
James Barrington-Brown, CEO of NewSpace Systems.
“Vaalbara has been invested in and working with the NewSpace team for several years, and we are excited by the new partnership with the SCHAUENBURG International team. We view this as a pivotal moment in the growth, technological leadership and success of NewSpace globally. With new investment and support from SCHAUENBURG, NSS can tackle not only bigger challenges, but also find new ways to add more value to the satellite sector.” – Frederik de Ridder, Principle at Vaalbara and Interim Chair of the NSS Board of Directors.
“The acquisition of NewSpace, offers an interesting opportunity and strategic complement for our group. The investment gives us further access to this interesting technology segment with high potential for future business in the area of the new generation of satellite technology.” – Florian Schauenburg, CEO of SCHAUENBURG International Group
About SCHAUENBURG International
SCHAUENBURG International is a family-managed investor operating on an international level with a focus on acquiring majority shares in well-established and profitable industrial enterprises. Investments are made on a long-term basis with a buy and build strategy, paying regard to sustainability and trustful cooperation with the existing management teams. The SCHAUENBURG International Group focuses on companies that are leading in technological niche markets and that strengthen and/or reasonably supplement existing business domains.
More Information about Schauenburg International can be found at www.schauenburg.com
About NewSpace Systems
NewSpace Systems (NSS) is an advanced manufacturer of reliable, space-proven satellite sub-systems and components with offices in both South Africa and The United Kingdom. Particularly strong in the area of Attitude Control Solutions, and services such as high precision contract manufacturing, NSS’s focus on high performance and cost efficiency has made it extremely successful in the operational satellite constellation market. To date, NSS has supplied its products and services to more than 50 customers across 5 continents. Committed to delivering on the high-quality products and services that our customers expect, NSS has established state-of-the-art facilities in South Africa. These include ISO 14644-1 certified (class 7) cleanrooms and technicians, who are European Space Agency accredited. Representing a unique capability on the African continent, the NSS team utilises its more than 30 years of experience in the space industry to assist customers with their unique mission requirements.
More information about NewSpace Systems can be found at www.newspacesystems.com
Vaalbara is a long-term and globally focused privately held investment company, with independent holdings in South Africa and the Netherlands.
More information about Vaalbara can be found at www.vaalbara.net
Committed to the health and safety of our participants, speakers, exhibitors and conference employees, the IAA Africa Organising Committee has made the difficult decision to postpone the 1st IAA African Symposium on Small Satellites, which was scheduled to take place from the 11-14th of May in Stellenbosch, South Africa.
While this will come as a disappointment to many, this decision was made as a precautionary measure to ensure the wellbeing of all participants given the ongoing threat of CoV-19. The 1st IAA African Symposium on Small Satellites will now take place from the 10th-13th of May 2021. All registered participants, speakers, sponsors and exhibitors will be contacted directly by the IAA Africa conference organisers to discuss refunds and next steps regarding abstract submissions.
We would like to apologise in advance for any inconvenience that this postponement may cause, and should you have any further concerns, please feel free to contact our conference organiser on:
Project Manager: Zelda Coetzee Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
In the interim, we wish you good health and look forward to hosting you in 2021.
Keep an eye on the IAA Africa website for updates: www.iaa-africa2020.co.za